SHOULD YOU GIVE THE AYURVEDIC ASHWAGANDHARISHTA SYRUP A TRY FOR EPILEPSY?
“KNOW ALL THE RELATED FACTS HERE“
Epilepsy is the 4th most common chronic neurological disorder that affects people of all ages. About 65 million people worldwide have been diagnosed with epilepsy. According to WHO, 75% of people with active epilepsy don’t get the proper treatment they require because of resources being inaccessible or unaffordable.
You might think that the treatment for a disorder as common and fatal as epilepsy would be easily available and inexpensive, but it’s the treatment expenses that hinder the lives of epileptic people worldwide.
Ayurveda is an ancient branch of medicine that has been proved successful in treating many diseases and disorders. Ayurvedic medicines are easily available on many websites and stores and are affordable as well.
There are many effective treatments for epilepsy in Ayurveda and the most effective and medically proven medicine is Ashwagandharishta syrup.
Let’s take a look at what ashwagandharishta is and how it treats epilepsy.
Ashwagandha or Indian ginseng is a herb that belongs to the nightshade family that is typically found in India, the Middle East, and some parts of South Africa. Ashwagandha is commonly used to treat neurological disorders.
Ashwagandha is mainly used for relieving stress, reviving, and strengthening memory power. It has antioxidants. anti-inflammatory and anticonvulsant properties as well.
Ashwagandharishta syrup is an ayurvedic medicine, its main active ingredient is ashwagandha. It is a composition of various medicinal herbs that compliment ashwagandha’s healing properties like:
Ashwagandharishta is used for many medicinal purposes such as:
- Brain Atrophy
- Muscle and bone disorders
- Sexual disorders and dysfunctions
Here are some medically proven benefits of ashwagandharishta:
- General tonic
- Uterine tonic
- Energy stimulator
- Digestive benefits
A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO EPILEPSY:
SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND TRIGGERS
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that causes uncontrolled brain activities which result in seizures. There are two types of seizures – focal seizure and generalized seizure. Focal seizures affect a limited area of the brain and can progress into generalized seizures that affect the whole brain. Seizures can last anywhere between a few seconds to several minutes.
Causes of epilepsy:
- Genetic conditions
- Brain injury or diseases
- Brain tumor
- Developmental disorders
Common symptoms of epilepsy are:
- Inability to comprehend sounds, visuals, smells, touch, or tastes.
- Unresponsiveness/ disassociation
- Memory loss after seizures
Possible triggers of epileptic seizures:
- Lack of sleep
- Weak immune system
- Bright lights, changing patterns
- Caffeine, alcohol, drugs, certain medications
- Eating disorders
CAN EPILEPSY BE TREATED?
Epilepsy is an incurable chronic disorder, but its symptoms can be treated with anti-seizure and immune-booster medication. There many treatments available for epilepsy but they are expensive and inaccessible to a majority of epileptic patients due to socio-economic conditions.
Ayurveda has many herbs that have healing and anti-epileptic properties. Ayurvedic ashwagandharishta syrup is the most effective medicine used to treat epilepsy symptoms. Let’s see how ashwagandharishta treats epilepsy.
HOW DOES ASHWAGANDHARISHTA SYRUP TREAT EPILEPSY?
Ashwagandharishta syrup has many medicinal herbs and root extracts and its main ingredient is ashwagandha root. Ashwagandharishta is known to have many medicinal benefits like anti-inflammatory properties, anti-stress, anti-anxiety, immune system fluctuation, and anticonvulsant properties. This is how all these medicinal properties of ashwagandharishta syrup benefits epileptic patients:
- Epileptic seizures can be triggered by a weak immune system and stressful conditions, ashwagandharishta relieves stress and boosts the immunity of epileptic patients to prevent seizures and reduce the occurrence of seizures.
- Generalized seizures can cause violent and aggressive convulsions that can make patients lose consciousness during a seizure. Ashwagandharishta syrup has anticonvulsant properties that can prevent convulsions in generalized seizures
- Eating disorders like anorexia and stomach issues like constipation, that can trigger epileptic seizures can be easily treated with ashwagandharishta syrup.
- Lack of sleep can cause the brain to be unnecessarily tired or hyperactive this can trigger epileptic seizures. Ashwagandharishta has been medically proven as an effective remedy for insomnia and can help patients sleep well to avoid triggers.
- Many patients can suffer from memory loss after seizures and ashwagandharishta syrup helps in strengthening memory as well.
- Epileptic seizures can make patients aggressive or violent if they are not understood or given enough room, this happens because of the frenzied brain activity that makes them nervous or anxious that manifests into aggression quickly. Anti-anxiety properties are a huge relief for not just epileptic patients, but people around them as well. Keeping a patient calm during a seizure can reduce the chances of secondarily generalized seizures largely.
ASHWAGANDHARISHTA PRICE AND DOSAGE
Ashwagandharishta syrup can be bought in any ayurvedic store, online or offline, quite easily. It is available in a wide range of quantities from 250ml, 450ml, and 650ml. It is affordable and usually is in the price range of ₹130 to ₹250.
Usage and directions:
Self-diagnosis and medication can be harmful so it is better to consult your doctor before trying any medication. Its always safer to follow the directions of your physician when consuming alternative medicine. Here are some common directions and precautions to observe when consuming ashwagandharishta syrup:
- Consume with an equal quantity of water.
- Should only be consumed after meals.
- Do not consume without prior consultation from a physician if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Patients with gastric disorders, diabetics or ulcers should not consume it.
- Ashwangandharishta is not safe for children below the age of 5 and should not be consuming this syrup.
Epilepsy is one of the most common neurological disorders and still its treatments are inaccessible and unaffordable for over 75% of patients with active epilepsy. Ayurveda gives these patients a chance to treat this painful disease and live a relatively normal life with affordable and accessible medication.
Ayurvedic ashwagandharishta syrup is an effective remedy for treating many epileptic symptoms. Its anti-stress, anti-anxiety, immunomodulator, and anticonvulsant properties make it an ideal treatment for all types of seizures. Patients suffering memory loss after seizure trauma can also benefit from this syrup.