BRIEFING JATAMANSI POWDER FOR EPILEPSY AND OTHER NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS:
KNOW THE INSIGHTS HERE
Ayurveda has proven its mettle by being beneficial in the treatment of numerous ailments. Epilepsy is one such neurological ailment that can be addressed by using Ayurvedic formulations.
According to the definition, a person is said to be suffering from epilepsy if they are hit by two or more seizure attacks at a time difference of 24 hours or more. The intensity of these seizures can vary from person to person and from time to time. Unfortunately, epilepsy is a chronic neurological disorder that cannot be cured. That being said, it is possible to reduce abnormal brain activity with the help of certain potent medications.
Jatamansi powder is an Ayurvedic medicine that is widely used in the treatment of a variety of neurological diseases including epilepsy.
EVERYTHING TO KNOW ABOUT JATAMANSI POWDER
Jatamansi is an ayurvedic flowering plant found in the Himalayan region. It is also known by different names like Nardostachys Jatamansi, Balchara, Jatamanji, Billilotan, Nardus root, Mamsi, Jata, Jatila, Jatamangshi, Baalchad, Kalichad, and, Tapaswini among others.
Jatamansi is an endangered primitive plant with therapeutic properties. This herbal agent belongs to the family Valerianaceae. This plant has a hairy appearance and falls in the dwarf category of plants and grows up to a maximum height of 1m. Jatamansi is a perennial, herbaceous plant that can be used for therapeutic effect in ayurvedic as well as homeopathic medicinal practice.
The rhizomes of Jatamansi are often made into Jatamansi powder and are said to be used as a tonic for soothing the nerves in the body and also for the treatment of several psychological disorders. Jatamansi rhizomes are also pressed and distilled to extract its oil. This oil is thick and amber-colored. Jatamansi oil is widely used to make perfumeries like essential oils and incense sticks and many more.
USES OF JATAMANSI POWDER
Jatamansi powder has various therapeutic properties which are believed to be specifically useful in the treatment of a wide range of neurological and psychological issues like insomnia, epilepsy, depression, etc. Some of the Jatamansi powder uses are as follows:
- Jatamansi has strong antioxidant properties. It can scavenge away free radicals from the body and consequently reduces oxidative stress inside the body
- It also acts as a potent medication with neuroprotective properties
- It helps in dealing with issues that disturb the proper functioning of the brain. It acts as a restorative agent and helps in dealing with ailments like memory loss
- Jatamansi powder has hepatoprotective properties which help it to protect the liver against all kinds of foreign substances
- Jatamansi powder is said to have antifungal properties as well and helps in preventing fungal infections like Athlete’s foot, Jock itch, Ringworm, Yeast infection, etc
- It is also a strong antimicrobial and inhibits the growth of pathogenic microorganisms in the body
- Jatamansi powder acts as a vasodilator, thereby letting blood flow more easily through the blood vessels
- It acts as a bronchodilator as well. Due to this property, Jatamansi can also be useful in the treatment of respiratory problems like asthma
- Jatamansi powder is a good spasmolytic
- It has platelet aggregation inhibition ability
- It staves off cardiovascular diseases due to its anti-ischemic and antiarrhythmic properties
- Jatamansi powder is primarily an anticonvulsant and helps in reducing erratic brain activities
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF JATAMANSI POWDER?
Owing to the numerous properties of Jatamansi powder, it is bound to have a lot of benefits in treating ailments in the body from head to toe. A few of the most noteworthy Jatamansi powder benefits are listed below:
- Jatamansi powder is the ideal remedy for reducing the intensity of abnormal brain activities which lead to seizures associated with epilepsy. It shields the body against cell damage caused due to oxidation.
- It is a potent nerve tonic that soothes the smooth muscles in the body. This reduces stress and cases of anxiety attacks. Jatamansi is beneficial in boosting up the overall health of an individual by improving cognitive functions.
- This ayurvedic medicine helps in treating cases of insomnia. When used in combination with Ashwagandha, it calms down the mind and helps in reducing stress and irritability This aids in getting a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Jatamansi is beneficial in increasing brain power by improving cognitive abilities. This ensures better retention of memories as well as better learning ability. It also reduces the risks of memory loss due to excessive stress.
- Jatamansi powder is also beneficial in the treatment of gastrointestinal problems like indigestion and gets rid of intestinal worms.
- It protects the liver and therefore prevents risks of jaundice.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce swelling and redness.
HOW TO USE JATAMANSI POWER?
Ayurvedic medicines usually have versatile uses so it’s not usual to be confused regarding how to use Jatamansi powder. As a recommendation, one-fourth or half a teaspoon of Jatamansi powder should be consumed either with honey or with lukewarm water. It can be taken once or twice a day as per the user’s requirement.
Jatamansi powder is proven to be a very effective ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of epilepsy and other similar neurological disorders. It cures oxidative injuries caused to the brain. Such injuries are the major cause behind the sudden triggering of seizures when one is epileptic.
The higher than usual rates of brain oxidative metabolism in combination with the low defenses against antioxidants can make the brain highly vulnerable to damage by free radicals present inside the body. Therefore, it is evident that free radicals may be the major factor responsible for the development of epileptic convulsions.
Jatamansi powder has no reported side effects when consumed in amounts as prescribed by the doctors. There are rare chances of side effects caused due to hypersensitivity in case the medicine is improperly ingested.